News Flash

Press Releases

Posted on: December 6, 2017

Westbury Man Sentenced to Four - Eight Years in Prison for Driving Incident that Killed Teenage Girl

herbie McLeod

MINEOLA, N.Y. – Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas announced that a Westbury man was sentenced on Monday to four to eight years in prison for a driving incident that killed a teenage girl in July 2015. Two teenagers were thrown from their position seated on the trunk of a moving car. One of the teens was his girlfriend’s daughter. The NCDA recommended a sentence of six to 12 years in prison.

Herbie McLeod, 29, pleaded guilty on July 27 before Supreme Court Justice Angelo Delligatti to charges of Manslaughter in the 2nd Degree (a C felony), Resisting Arrest (an A misdemeanor) and Assault in the 3rd Degree (an A misdemeanor).

“Knowing that two girls were sitting on his trunk, this defendant dangerously drove his vehicle until the girls were thrown into the street, killing one and severely injuring the other,” DA Singas said. “This type of reckless and unconscionable driving will not be tolerated in Nassau County.”

The DA's office investigation revealed that on July 12, 2015, the 16 and 18-year-old victims were sitting on the trunk of a BMW parked on the side of Brook Street in New Cassel. The BMW was occupied by the defendant, Herbie McLeod, the boyfriend of the 18-year-old victim, Sabrina Paul’s mother. The defendant, knowing the teens were on the trunk of the car, drove the car, without stopping at a stop sign and then made a U-turn, picking up speed as he drove back up Brook Street.

The surviving victim said it felt as if the defendant was driving faster than residential street speed. Both teens fell off the trunk and landed on the street. Following the incident, the defendant was slapping the face of the 18-year-old while she was on the ground in an attempt to wake her up. The 16-year-old victim was bleeding from her face. The defendant then picked up the teens off the ground and drove them back to his girlfriend’s home, where he put them in bed. When they were discovered by the victim’s mother the 18-year-old was unconscious.

After being transported to the hospital, it was discovered that Sabrina Paul suffered skull fractures and brain swelling and was later pronounced dead. The 16-year-old victim suffered abrasions that left scars on various parts of her body, was on crutches and in a boot for an ankle injury that required physical therapy for four months. She had surgery to sew her nail back onto her finger.

Assistant District Attorney Katie Zizza investigated and prosecuted this case with Assistant District Attorney Stephanie Dellinger of DA Singas’ Vehicular Crimes Bureau. McLeod is represented by Steven Barnwell, Esq.


Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Press Releases

ncda shield transparent

Baldwin Man Indicted for Sex Trafficking

Posted on: September 11, 2020


Posted on: June 15, 2017
2016 Annual Report Cover

NCDA Releases 2016 Annual Report

Posted on: February 24, 2017