News Flash

Press Releases

Posted on: March 23, 2022

Brooklyn Man Convicted in Deadly 2019 Shooting in Hempstead

da logo transparent

James Wilson convicted of murder and other charges in the shooting death of 28-year-old Matthew Gilreath

MINEOLA, N.Y. – Nassau County District Attorney Anne T. Donnelly announced a Brooklyn man was convicted of murder and other charges in a fatal shooting in Hempstead in February 2019.

James Wilson, 38, was convicted after a jury trial before Judge Howard Sturim of murder in the second degree (an A-I felony) and two counts of criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree (a C violent felony). He is due back in court for sentencing on May 24, 2022, where he faces a potential maximum sentence of up to 40 years to life in prison. The jury deliberated for less than two hours before reaching their verdict.

“There is no dispute that James Wilson intended to kill Matthew Gilreath, after firing six shots in rapid succession – two aimed directly at the victim’s face and head – as they argued in the doorway of 100 Terrace Avenue,” said DA Donnelly. “We are pleased with the jury’s verdict and that Wilson will be held accountable for this senseless murder.”

DA Donnelly said on February 18, 2019 at approximately 2:44 am, the victim, 28-year-old Matthew Gilreath, was standing in the doorway of 100 Terrace Avenue in Hempstead when an argument broke out with the defendant. Wilson fired six shots, striking Gilreath twice in the head, and continued to fire as Gilreath’s body was falling to the ground. The defendant was also shot once in the abdomen by the victim during the altercation. 

Following the shooting, co-defendant Raphael Carter, 34, of Hempstead, took the gun from Wilson and brought it to his apartment. The weapon was never recovered. 

Gilreath was taken to Nassau University Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead. 

The defendant was treated for his gunshot wound at NYU Winthrop Hospital.

Following an investigation, Wilson was arrested on February 18, 2019, and Carter was arrested on February 20, 2019, by members of the Nassau County Police Department.

Carter pled guilty on January 30, 2020 to criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree (a D violent felony) and tampering with physical evidence (an E felony). He was sentenced on September 3, 2020. 

Senior Litigation Counsel Ania Pulaski of the Homicide Bureau is prosecuting this case. The defendant is represented by Christopher Cassar, Esq.


Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Press Releases

ncda shield transparent

Baldwin Man Indicted for Sex Trafficking

Posted on: September 11, 2020


Posted on: June 15, 2017
2016 Annual Report Cover

NCDA Releases 2016 Annual Report

Posted on: February 24, 2017