News Flash

Press Releases

Posted on: June 12, 2018

Maximum Prison Sentences Handed Down for Two Men Convicted of August 2016 Uniondale Shooting Death

burgess taylor

MINEOLA, N.Y. – Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas announced that two defendants have been given maximum sentences for their roles in the shooting death of a Uniondale man in August 2016.

Joshua Taylor, 25, of Hempstead, was convicted of Murder in the Second Degree (an A-I felony) and two counts of Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Second Degree (a C violent felony), and sentenced today by Acting Supreme Court Justice William O’Brien to 25 years to life in prison.

Jorge Burgess, 25, of Uniondale was convicted of Manslaughter in the Second Degree (a C felony) and two counts of Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Second Degree (a C violent felony). Judge O’Brien sentenced Burgess to five to 15 years in prison on the manslaughter charge and 15 years in prison with five years’ post-release supervision on both weapons charges. The manslaughter and weapons charges will run consecutively for a sentence of up to 30 years in prison.

Both defendants were convicted by a jury on May 10. The trial lasted for nearly five weeks and the jury deliberated for two days.

“This sentence ensures that the defendants responsible for the senseless murder of Jude St. Clair will pay a heavy price for their horrific crime,” DA Singas said. “Our hearts go out to the victim’s family and loved ones as they continue to mourn the tragic loss of this young man.”

DA Singas said on August 21, 2016, at approximately 10:00 a.m., Burgess lured the victim, 32-year-old Jude St. Clair, down a side street off Nassau Road in Uniondale by waving him to come over. The defendants then fired eight shots at St. Clair, hitting him three times, once in the upper right chest, once in the left shoulder and also inflicted a graze wound to the victim’s buttocks. Burgess used a .38 revolver and Taylor used a .380 semi-automatic handgun. The defendants were seeking revenge for a fight earlier in the morning between Taylor’s cousin and the victim.

Following the shooting, Burgess fled the scene and was arrested on August 30, 2016, by members of the Nassau County Police Department.

Taylor fled the scene and went to Connecticut to stay with his cousin. He was arrested on September 10, 2016, in Hartford, Connecticut, and extradited to Nassau County to face charges.

This case is being prosecuted by Assistant District Attorney Stefanie Palma of DA Singas’ Major Offense Bureau. Burgess is represented by Mitchell Barnett, Esq. and Taylor is represented by Stuart Austin, Esq.


Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Press Releases

ncda shield transparent

Baldwin Man Indicted for Sex Trafficking

Posted on: September 11, 2020


Posted on: June 15, 2017
2016 Annual Report Cover

NCDA Releases 2016 Annual Report

Posted on: February 24, 2017